Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Exitway

*exitway*
Drifting epitaphs
Squander these last moments
In treacled sentimentality
Ignoring what was and would have been
For you shall not talk ill of dead
Their best aspects must remain
To those of us here to inspire
Even Mussolini kept the trains on time
And was a good boy to his mother
Had impeccable manners
Once served his country valiantly
As they fire up the jets
The coffin on runway stands
Though is more exitway
Nothing but ashes will be coming back
Final goodbyes compulsory
So learned psychiatrists demand
Grief must have its markers
And this is a major one of those
To see the corpse and acknowledge
Except in dreams shall no more know
For all the heat to come
The skin is so chill
No heating pulse resides
Such emptiness behind those eyes
For another the dam breaks
Either mood or moment is too much
Trickling streams of tears uncontrollably flow
I hold my own back inside
To control and not collapse
My goodbyes all been said
Lying in our marriage bed
A gulf in sleep I cannot span
The desolation of waking in an empty room
I am sure I shall bang around
In this world which was ours
For more than a few years
Noting pasting years and seasons
By anniversaries and birthdays uncelebrated
By the fact as coffin rolls
I want join you not let you go
Fling myself upon your funeral pyre
Do as Vikings did
Instead I stand and numbly watch
Not even noting as
My own dam breaks apart
And tears of grief again are flowing.

No comments:

Post a Comment