Monday, April 11, 2011

You can be as free as me

** you can be as free as me **

I have been a king, and been a scholar
Sold my soul for the mighty silver dollar
Now I'm free
NOW I am FREE

I bought your love with a diamond ring
Never meant a god damned thing
We fought more than the McCoys
Built a house and life based on toys

We barely shed a tear as we broke apart
The only thing out of warranty was my heart
Picked up my entire life in eleven plastic bags
Drove away to deal with grief's seven stages


For now I'm free
As only a lost and lonely soul can be
For now I am free
As long as I carry my soured dreams in me


Wore your charnel corporate robes of grey
Destroyed so many lives with our money making ways
Never built or crafted a single thing
Just bred the money into a bigger money thing
I stripped my soul back with paint thinner
Joined the losers and cursed the winners
Locked my desk and threw away the key
Keep your peanuts I will not be your monkey


And now I'm free
As ever a condemned man can be
And now I am free
As there's nowhere else I could be


Same time each year offered unto Caesar what was his
Thought it would go for community services
Instead you built your weapons of war
Which when they explode shake world to its core

The men and women for whom I voted
Of high minded principles and ideals often quoted
However when it came to caring or government
Took the money and on the people turned their backs


Now I'm free
As a citizen in a benevolent tyranny can be
And I am free
No better place under God to be


Counted up the forgotten taxes
Saw the woodsmen with their sharp axes
Who saw every tree as an affront to humanity
Working so hard to create environmental catastrophe

The forests are dying in clouds of acid rain
Fish stocks and farm lands will never be the same
Radioactive iodines flowing into the sea
Nothing left pure and safe for you or me


Now I'm free
As any part of the food chain can be
Now I am free
As much as a marginalised constituent living an alternative lifestyle will
ever be


I had been a king and been a scholar
I once sold my soul for the worthless silver dollar
And now I'm free
Now I am free

So put down your robes of corporate grey
Escape your cities and run the hell away
Feel sun on skin and be kissed by the wind
Its time for you to start all over again
For you can be free
As I am free.

No comments:

Post a Comment