Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Kristy

Kristy

 * Kristy *
Music in my head
Tunes and refrains of Kristy
I only really found her music
When she was already dead
The strange thing is how
I had already liked two songs she did
Before I ever got close to her music
As if looking across a cafe
And seeing a girl you usually see
And admire on the morning train
And the conversation continues
Except with me and Kristy
The conversation is all one way
She is dead so I can say what I like
And she cannot acknowledge it
Yet she speaks through her songs
Little pieces of multi-faceted Kristy
Which I interpret and cling to
An unrequited love of sound
It was Free World which first caught my attention
An anti-consumerism song
About empowerment and money
The clash of ideologues
I did not know then
She did a version of New England
I had always admired
Unusual for a songwriter
To allow another artist to add another verse
Yet Billy Bragg did for Kristy
Perhaps he and she were an item
Or just good friends
I am jealous of Billy for that
Then there is a fairytale of new york
Sung by the Pogues
Given balance and life by Kristy
Her husband was producing the Pogues
And Kristy was going through a period of stage fright
So they taped her singing to a taped section
Of the Pogues main singer
A chameleon of influences
Kristy gets the tone rhythm and tenor just right
If you ever hear other female singers
Trying to sing the part
You can hear them trying to be Kristy-lite
The song the role she made her own
And blah blah blah
Facts and dates and opinions
Songs she sang and wrote
A three disc master-set of her songs
All do little justice to the fact
I love her music
And wonder what music she would be doing
If she were not dead.

No comments:

Post a Comment