Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Winter vegetables II

** Winter vegetables II **
Between the colour of your eyes
The conversation inviting
Your full red lips kissable
And a deepening of my admiration
For who you are and our when
This intersection of life opportunity
I find my own conversation failing
As my mind's thoughts are tailing
Another line of enquiry
Completely different from the choice of wine
Or if winter vegetables are appropriate
When the seasons shift is to Spring
I watch your pulse upon your neck
Elegant line of collarbone to shoulder disappearing
Into your almost Summer dress
Which reveals enough to make me shiver
For it marks how hot your heart must burn
For this evening air has grown heavy
Cold and chill it surrounds us
So natural to move together
Seek out the warmth we radiate
Meld such warmth against this world
Legs arranged as fallen trees might
Hands overlapping as if piles of autumn leaves
And now I see your words also slowing
You chase a wisp of hair from your face
And I move to assist and Time stalls
As trace affectionate slope of your nose
Feel warmth breath upon my wrist
Into your eyes I topple
Paused between one moment and next
Finding greater wonder and complexity here
Than in night's starry heavens above
You release a playfully coy smile
Merriment perched upon either end of your lips
And this tiny movement of muscles
Breaks spell's enchantment
Brings Time rushing back in
As my hand returns to the pile
Of our hands upon the table
Entwined and intermingled we stretch
Feel strength in each others grip
Sense blood so close to surface
The heat of you and tactile presence
You lean forward and mouth the words
As if speech might break our entanglement
"Seen something you like?"
And after short pause I reply
"Definitely not the Winter vegetables"
As the waiter just then arrives
To find us convulsed with silent laughter
And joyous thought entire night lies ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment