Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Sun seen

* Sun seen *
This Sun the same I knew
When once I was as old as you
Hopes and dreams unfocused held
Yet knew life I would lead
Be a truly better one
Than the lives my parents led
The world in which I would live
Be fairer and more equitable
Crowned on all by love
Respect joy and enthusiasm
A life to show as example
To any who might example seek
Hatreds all put aside
A knightly sense of right
Yet now in looking backward
To where you in age sit
Seems simple became complicated
The quarrels I had seen
Were to become portents for my own
The lines of what I believed
Blurred by need and expediency
And now see in your eyes
The same disdain once held in mine
When upon my parents spied
And saw the tenor of their lives
And privately swore not for me
Under this same Sun you see
The same under which I grew
As my parents and their parents knew.

No comments:

Post a Comment